Did you make it through the July 4th weekend in one piece?
July’s a great month for me, following Independence Day(not the one with Will Smith) there was also my best friend’s birthday, which was yesterday…my hubby’s birthday coming up on the 13th and mine and my hubby’s anniversary on the 19th! Wow! Two of the most important people to me’s birthdays and my wedding anniversary ALL in one month.
Oh…and of course 5(my lucky number!) Fridays too in July!
Here’s the second serving of 5 question Friday for the month of July…..you know what to do if you want to answer too, right? Answer in the comments or on your OWN blog!
On to the questions!
1. Do you think cursive writing is overrated? (Schools in Indiana have now voted to take teaching cursive writing out of their curriculum.)
My first honest response to this is “I HAD to learn cursive, so kids today should have to as well!”
I had heard schools were thinking of getting rid of cursive writing and I can sort of understand it because honestly, I only use cursive for my signature and when forced to…..The schools I grew up in actually had a class JUST for cursive writing where we not only learned it but were critiqued for every little whorl of the letter that wasn’t just so and it really annoyed me to be honest. I mean, I already learned “Print” when I was younger…why do I have to learn another way of writing? I came to learn it was considered a more sophisticated, professional way of writing but that didn’t keep me from writing in print every chance I could get. There’s a part of me that thinks cutting out cursive writing in school is just the first step of many in losing our writing skills, though. Kids already are so used to shortening their words when writing to friends, texting and typing on the computer and when corrected, you suddenly become the “grammar police” and since it’s not school, it’s considered OK to throw out everything you were taught. Well…honestly, this worries me because the more you practice bad grammar, bad spelling and shortening or “dumbing down” your writing, the more you get used to it and you forget the correct way of doing things. There’s even been articles on how kids nowadays when applying for jobs answer questions in their shorthand and speak unprofessionally because of the way they speak on computers…..Maybe THIS and cursive writing don’t really go together….but a part of me thinks it’s another step in losing sophistication in the English language…..DO YOU AGREE?
2. Do you still use a pocket calendar or notepad or do you keep your info on your smart phone? I do not have a smart phone….and probably will only get one when I can upgrade my phone in Dec. IF it’s affordable. The phone I have does have a calendar but I don’t really use it…I am old fashioned and use room calendars on my wall. I do usually carry a small notebook in my purse, though.
3. What 3 things would you save if your house was burning down? (family & pets are already safe) This is difficult….I would probably grab just whatever I could…Photo albums, books, things of that nature…..My pillow….don’t laugh…I’ve had it since I was a baby and i’s already survived one fire
4. Country Mouse or City Mouse, err Person? City, definitely….I don’t like being too far away from civilization….whenever I go far out in the country, the song from “Deliverance” starts playing in my head….LOL
5. If you could pick ANY reality show to go on, which would you pick?
I’ve actually thought of this before….I think I would pick “America’s Got Talent” if I ever got the nerve…..My husband has told me to try “American Idol” but I’ve always felt that show was based more on a popularity contest rather than talent…not to say good singers don’t make it through cause they do….but there’s just so many that slip through the cracks during the many auditions. They have to let so many “bad” auditions through as they do good….to make better TV. “America’s Got Talent” has seemed the most real out of the talent type shows for singing, anyways. I DO love to sing but I doubt myself too much and don’t think I’m as good as the others on there even though my hubby says I am. I don’t know…right now, I love being a wife and have dreams of becoming a mother. I love to blog and dream of finding my niche in writing someday. I’m only 27….who knows what may happen?
That was one LONG 5 Question Friday! Sorry to be so talkative! Hope you all enjoy your weekend! 🙂
“He couldn’t see why people made such a fuss about people eating their silly old fruit anyway, but life would be a lot less fun if they didn’t. And there was never an apple, in Adam’s opinion, that wasn’t worth the trouble you got into for eating it.” ~from Good Omens