TheRealSharon's Blog

{June 15, 2011}   WWW Wednesday or “I’m a bookworm and proud of it”

To play along, just answer the following three (3) questions…

• What are you currently reading?
• What did you recently finish reading?
• What do you think you’ll read next?

What are you currently reading?  “The Girls” by Lori Lansens….Great book so far and I have to constantly remind myself that it’s not an actual autobiography but written to sound like one. It’s a story of two twins conjoined by the head or craniopagus twins. It reads like an autobiography from the perspective of one of the girls with added segments from her sister. It’s very interesting. I’m so glad I stumbled upon this book by accident when I wanted another book by this same author and could only find THIS one by her at my library.

What did you recently finish reading? I’ve read a lot since last week. I read “Hit List” by Laurell K. Hamilton, read “Burn” by Ted Dekker and Erin Healy. I picked up Burn from the newer books at the library because the cover drew me in and the little about it I read on the back seemed interesting. I was definitely NOT let down by it. As I was reading the book, I thought I had it figured out as far as how it was going to go and then it did this really crazy twist that I wasn’t expecting but I happily accepted. I want to read more by this duo. The last one I read was ‘Step on a crack” by James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge. I had already read the 2nd one in this series so I went back and read this one, the 1st one, to kind of fill in the puzzle pieces. I loved this one just as much and read it in one day just like the other. I love this series by them!

What do you think you’ll read next? I’m reading “The Unknown Terrorist: A novel” by Richard Flanagan next…Super excited to see what it’s like. The back cover sounded very intriguing which is why I just randomly picked it up off the library shelf and decided to check it out!

Recently I did a post where I did some quizzes and one called me a bookworm and basically pointed towards how that tended to almost be a negative thing in the world’s eye. I’ve been called one my whole life and never thought of it as anything BUT positive. Loving books is not nerdy and I think it’s time people take away that stereotype. Reading books is a great way for kids to grow their imaginations, learn about new words and places and new experiences, and to be able to have a healthy, fun way to escape from the stress of life. If more kids turned to books to deal with pain and stress instead of all the negative in this world, I think this world would be such a better place.

I looked at Belle in “Beauty and the Beast” walking through the village with a book in her face as someone I wanted to be just like. I aspired to walk around reading just like her (and trying not to trip) and secretly hoped people would say, “Oh, you remind me of Belle!” That would have been such a compliment to me. I’m like a Disney princess but not because of looks or money or even talent…but because I also love to go everywhere with a book in my hands!

Are YOU a bookworm too? When people call you a bookworm, do you take offense or do you love it? What are your feelings on kids becoming great lovers of books? Do you feel as I do that it’s a good thing?

AND getting kind of away from books…..What Disney Princess did YOU want to be as a little girl? Or Disney prince or villain, etc.? for a boy? OR girl…if you wanted to be something other than a princess?

Advertisements

Shaunesay says:

I’m totally a bookworm and proud of it! Always have been, and have my father to thank for my love of reading! Luckily I married another bookworm, so there’s no limit to my books! Which is also the bad thing, there’s no check to stopping me! lol! We need to either go electronic, or buy another house just for our books! 😉

My WWW is here if you’d like to drop by!

My husband likes to read every once in awhile about topics that interest him, but mainly it’s just me reading 99% of the time. BUT that’s a good thing for the reason you stated….we don’t have room in our apt. for another book worm!
Thanks for stopping by my blog! I’ll go check yours out!

Jackie Paulson Author says:

I have not been called book worm but book lover or book addict…family and friends. I like how much time you read and blog..and blog about what you read. I’d love to take that book quiz…you always inspire me Sharon.

My hubby calls me his Little Bookworm. 🙂
It wasn’t a book quiz actually…..It was one of the quizzes I took in my post called, “Quiz me and I’ll quiz you”…about a career that suits me. Part of the results on one of them mentioned about me being a bookworm.

eof737 says:

The term bookworm is positive to me too… Great redaings there… You’ve been busy! reading away. 🙂

Yay for other bookworms! And yep, I love to read! 🙂

The Hook says:

Long live the printed page!

Sandy M. says:

Yes, bookworm is good! I think the key is though, no one should be consigned to any ONE single box and locked there forever.

Also should be positive: geek. I’m a geek, proud of it. I thrive on being all sorts of different things and I enjoy not fitting people’s stereotypes 😉 If I feel like I am getting hemmed in with a particular role at work, that’s usually when I start looking for a new job.

Oh, and yeah, wwwwednesday. Here is my wha wha wha Wednesday on my book buffet.

I am also a proud geek!

nrhatch says:

Bookworms rock! 😀

Yes, they do! All bookworms welcome here! 🙂

Read Anna Quindlen’s book so you can see her take on “bookworm”. She’s one and she’s raised her kids to be that way. So many Americans don’t pick up a single book after they leave high school or college, it’s really pathetic. As the saying says, ignorance is bliss, and not reading is the best way to remain ignorant…

I really, really want to read her book since I saw you mention it on your blog! I searched for it online at our library and we don’t seem to have it though. 😦 I hate how our library doesn’t have as many books as the bigger ones! Guess I will have to search for it next time I get a chance to go to a Half Price Books…which may not be until August.