TheRealSharon's Blog

{April 29, 2011}   Sometimes you surprise yourself….

Last week, I saw ALL this advertising about the Royal Wedding and I told myself, “I’m so tired of hearing about THIS, I can’t wait for it to be over and I am NOT interested in watching the wedding.” It seemed a lot of people were very interested and NOT just the British, which I could understand why THEY would be. While I was setting up my DVR to record stuff at the beginning of this week, I found myself scheduling the “Highlights from the Wedding”, which would record AFTER it. I told myself that was just to see what the big deal was and I could just fast forward past it or delete if it was too incredibly boring. BUT I was not going to record the wedding and I was not going to get up early to watch it or stay up for it. There was no way!

As the week went on, my will started to crumble a bit and I wondered how I could even be entertaining one thought of watching it. Why would I be interested in such rubbish, really? I even considered doing a blog talking about how tired I was of hearing about the wedding and how I couldn’t wait for it all to be over. But then I started seeing more glimpses here and there of things and I started to get pulled in. I tried hard to not be interested, I really did! I told myself I was obviously being hypnotized by something and I needed to resist the allure. Then my husband’s mom started talking about staying up to watch Princess Diana’s wedding and how it was such a historical and beautiful event. Well…I was 3 years away from being thought of by my parents when Princess Diana had HER wedding so suffice it to say, I didn’t have the issue of whether to watch or not to watch their wedding.

But it started to wear on me….All the talk of it being so historical and the idea of a royal not marrying  commoner in over 350 years….Would I possibly one day regret it IF I didn’t watch? Could it possibly be this huge event that was so amazing that I would be sad I missed it? I gave in and hit the scheduler on my DVR….I would record the pre-wedding and wedding BUT I would not watch it live. I would just watch it later and skip through the boring parts. At least that’s what I told myself. But sometimes you shock yourself….and now I feel almost ashamed that I was pulled in.

I started watching the pre-show 30 minutes into the recording…..it was recording on my DVR and I just couldn’t resist the wait. I watched as guest after guest arrived at the royal event and I was in awe of the fashion. Apparently British women LOVE hats! Who would have thought? I have never seen so many hats in my life and there were some huge, strange ones at that! I came to discover these peculiar hats were known as “fascinators”? Well….I can definitely understand that! They WERE fascinating to say the least…although some of them made me sorry for the unlucky few who would be seated behind them. You come to see a royal wedding and instead you are stuck with seeing a humongous hat! That would not amuse me very much….

In between the guests arriving, I found myself fast forwarding so I could get closer to the actual wedding. By the time it got to Kate stepping into the car in her wedding dress, I was only about 10 minutes behind LIVE time. I watched as she got in her car to the wedding and admired her beauty. She truly is a beautiful woman and that dress was gorgeous. Interestingly enough, I didn’t feel any jealousy over her beauty, though. I almost thought I would, but even though my own wedding was NOTHING compared to the royal wedding, I STILL think of mine as beautiful and wonderful in its own right.

I really enjoyed seeing the differences in a British wedding and an American one, though. I think it was a learning experience and intriguing. I had 4 bridesmaids that were closer to my age, one maid of honor and 2 little girl flower girls…along with 4 groomsmen, 1 best man and 2 little boy ring bearers on the guy side. This wedding had 4 little girls under the age of 11 as bridesmaids…what a concept! and 2 little Pageboys(which I had never heard of). Kate’s younger sister was the maid of honor in a very, dare I say, sexy white dress. My jaw actually dropped when I saw her sister….wow! She was gorgeous too! And wearing white?! I had always heard that ONLY the bride was to wear white. How different! And here the groom and the best man are adorned in suits or tux but they had uniforms on. I really felt like I was gaining education in British ways but without the stodgy classroom feel, you know?

I LOVED the fact that William didn’t see Kate until she got to the altar LITERALLY. And I loved the look on his face when he saw her. It was such a beautiful ceremony and different than anything I had ever seen. I actually teared up a bit…but I’m an emotional girl anyways! I do admit to fast forwarding through all the hymns and speeches after the vows…UNTIL I caught up to LIVE time and was forced to just deal with that part. It was the longest ceremony I have ever seen but I am sure there are longer ones out there. When they walked off to sign the registry, I was left curious wondering what that was all about. And after they walked out and left for the palace without the standard American, “You may kiss the bride” sealed with a kiss…I thought for sure a kiss MUST have happened behind the scenes while they signed the registry. Hmmm…But they deserved to have that bit of privacy so it will be their little secret.

I continued watching as the crowd of close to a million (WOW!) awaited the kiss on the balcony. For a minute, I was under the impression that this was the tradition for thousands of years until they told the background story of it all starting with Princess Diana and Prince Charles. Let’s just hope that Kate and William’s marriage takes a much different turn!

By the time the TV broadcasting was over, I almost wanted to follow them through the upcoming parties and see how lavish the events were. I had seen so much that I had never seen before and I was intrigued to see more! But then I thought back to my own wedding day and I thought about how I would have felt if cameras were following me all day. And I realized that I wouldn’t want them to continue following me. I would want to be able to relax with those closest to me and really enjoy the moment. But I can see how people can get caught up in everything and want to know MORE. Always more, more, more, you know?

So I gave in….I acted like an obsessed royal wedding watcher and I surprised myself. Why? As an American, I think I was just curious to see what all the hubbub was about. And as I started watching, I was bewitched by the differences of weddings in the UK versus the US. I was intrigued to keep watching and learning from the experience. And OK…I became interested in what the super secret wedding dress would look like.

Also, there was just something about the idea that someone NOT born of royalty could dream of becoming a princess and actually have that happen. Every little girl dreams of being a princess….maybe not ALL, but a majority of them. Heck, I got married in a castle…so I would be lying if I said I never wanted to be a princess as a little girl. Even though the odds of someone actually becoming one are about a gazillion to one…this was a case where it happened and the allure of that drew me in. I became one of the zombies drawn in by the wedding.

BUT I lasted until a couple days before the wedding BEFORE I got drawn in. Does that count for something?

Now that’s it’s all over, I am off to my very UN-royal and boring life but it was fun getting to float away to make believe land for a little while. So don’t hate on me too much, all you wedding bashers….Sometimes you just surprise even yourself……

Advertisements

Becka says:

I caught some reruns of certain parts on the news when I went to Krystal’s basically enough to see the alien life forms that were growing off the women’s heads…oh wait those were hats weren’t they…lmao…anyway it looked like a beautiful ceremony and I did say aww when he told her she looked beautiful…oh yea and Krystal, Lydia, and I compared the brother’s looks and decided now that Harry has gotten older I think he’s gotten better looking than his brother…yes we the shallow women of the good old U S of A…

Thank you! Someone agrees with me! Chad was talking about how William got the good looks and I was like, NO! Harry is the better looking and I made him look at them together to prove it!…..William isn’t BAD looking but I think Harry has this cute baby face now….and it’s not even the balding thing…I also think William’s nose is bigger and I honestly think Harry is pretty dang good looking…But that’s just my personal opinion!
LOL about the alien life forms! Some of them certainly looked like it!

Jackie Paulson Author says:

I actually saw some of the wedding and I did enjoy it. I didn’t have much time but what I did see and here was most excellent.

The Hook says:

You’ve caught “Royal Wedding Fever”! Good for you.

I didn’t want to and I didn’t mean to….but it attacked me, yes!

eof737 says:

Way too funny! I did the same thing and even my daughters had me wake them at 5:00am so we could watch together. I told them how I stayed up to watch Princess Diana’s wedding and funeral… Memorable.
Eliz

At least I’m not the only one!

knotrune says:

I actually didn’t bother to watch it, although Tim did. I became intrigued in the difference between English and American wedding customs when I went to an American wedding many years ago, which seemed very strange to me. Cake in the face???! Why would you want to do that? You have expensive fancy clothes on! And the garter, we don’t have that. I didn’t know the kiss is just not part of our ceremony until my own wedding though! Duh! As for the bridesmaids, that is not so much a tradition thing as a personal preference. I had just my best friend, same age as me. But our wedding was not especially traditional. It was in an Anglican church, but the groom party were dressed as Anglo-Saxons and my Dad wore a king Henry the 8th costume!! 😀 Our cake was a Viking longship! It was very cool 🙂 I ought to do a blog post of it one day, that would be fun. Maybe on the anniversary.

Wow, your wedding sounds really interesting! I would LOVE to hear about it sometime, I love seeing the different traditions and customs at weddings. I shoved a piece of cake in my hubby’s mouth but none of it got on his suit. He knew better than to shove a piece of cake at me…I threatened him before the wedding that if he DID, the honeymoon would be very bad for him! LOL
I think the cake thing originally started as just sharing a piece of cake and someone along the line pushed it in the other’s face and that just kind of stuck? Did you throw the bouquet?

knotrune says:

Although throwing the bouquet is one of our traditions, I didn’t because of my arthritis. We picked and chose with the traditions, keeping some, losing others and subverting a few 🙂 for example, I gave a speech, which is not usual for the bride. But hey, I had a captive audience! 😉 I’ll put this on the list for a blog post one day then, just for you!

YAY! I’m looking forward to it!
And even here in America, weddings can be so diverse and unique. That’s one of the great things about planning a wedding, how you can change it up a bit to fit your style. I kept a lot of the traditions I had seen but I did some things a little bit different. There were other things I WANTED to change but my Mom didn’t agree so I left it alone. For instance, after the wedding as you leave, the guests throw bird seed or rice…not sure if people in England do that too. I wanted to have people blow bubbles, which is a more modern twist people use now, but my mom didn’t agree. I actually did my own birdseed pouches too….which is strange to me….I did them just to get them thrown at me! LOL

knotrune says:

We do throw stuff, but we had the bubbles – strangely because I had seen that at the American wedding I mentioned!

The oldest tradition is for rice, to represent fertility (one reason I didn’t want that as we have no intention of having kids!) also birds eat it and it swell up in them and can kill them, so your birdseed is much better 🙂 Then it was confetti, probably to fake flower petals, but that is banned in many places as it makes so much mess, all that paper. I didn’t want to get bits all in my hair and dress either, so the bubbles were great, and the kids loved them too. They turned out well on some of the photos.

Yea, I knew about the rice hurting birds so that was definitely out of the question. I was pretty grumpy when I got birdseed thrown in my face though…I wear soft contacts so I was freaking out for fear I might get some in my eyes and they would tear them and contacts are NOT cheap! LOL
I had bird seed ALL over me though….and ALL in my hair…ugh! It was awful!

I didn’t see the wedding but caught a few pictures online. It looked like a beautiful wedding, uniting two people who actually love each other (unlike Charles and Diana, with was a set-up). The bride was beautiful and you’re right, the fairy tale aspect of this wedding is what made it more special. I hope they get a little privacy after this very public showing of an intimate event between two people.

Yea and considering they have already been together 8 years and STILL seem so much in love…I think that’s a good sign that they will last! I hope they also get a little privacy, from what the news seems to say, they will be living in an area that is very good on secrecy and privacy. They deserve it and will need it to grow their marriage bond.